April 26, 2012

Friend Dating

On the eve of my first real weekend, I feel a little bit like this:
Something small, standing on the edge of something big, and not quite sure how everything fits together. (i.e. girl in a city in search of things to do and people to do those things with. Not just this weekend, but a lifetime of weekends)

In college, I was lucky enough to find a solid group of friends early on. Being part of a group provided many opportunities to make new friends through my current friends. 

Now that we're separated, the process of finding new friends without a friend-group already in place is annoyingly similar to dating. That's why I've dubbed it 'friend dating.' The first date is slightly awkward as the potential friends lightly tread upon various topics in search of commonalities. Unfortunately, the first date is usually when the red flags come out (not necessarily grounds for a friend break up, but perhaps a reason to start seeing other friends). My last two friend dates were red-flagged by mention of NASCAR and stagecoach (country music). If I can't even pretend to enjoy their favorite activity, things are not going to work out between us. Guess I have more friend dating to do.

Alsoo, if anybody knows a lovely potential friend who lives in LA, please set us up.




No comments:

Post a Comment