April 12, 2012

Being a Grownup

One of the things I was most excited about when I accepted the job at my firm was the ability to accrue three weeks paid vacation per year. Three weeks! I pictured myself galavanting through Europe in three-week increments each year.

But the reality of vacation days (and part of being a grownup) is that these days are mostly used for un-fun things. For example, I am not at work today. Whoo, vacation.....right? Nope, it's a study day. In fact, every vacation day I've used since starting my job has been used for studying, sickness, or car accidents.

The same goes for my coworkers. The various "vacations" my teammates have taken in the last few weeks were used to get cars repaired, stay home to take care of sick spouses, and get dental work done (other than the partner, who actually was galavanting around Europe).

So, the moral of today's story is that when you're a grownup, vacation days often aren't used for vacations - unless you're a partner (but, given all the stress/liability/responsibility that comes with that job, I'll pass).

On the bright side, at least I can take days off to do un-fun things and still get paid my full salary.

No comments:

Post a Comment