March 8, 2012

The 'Plan Man' Theory

I don't want to go to sleep, because sleep has a strange way of solidifying events. There's always a moment first thing the morning after when I have to reflect upon the events in question and decide that a) it was just a dream, or b) yeah, that really happened. Unfortunately, with bad things, the answer is usually b.

Instead, of sleeping, here's a theory...

Preface: I didn't grow up in a particularly religious household, but I went to I went through all the steps (Sunday school, services, celebrated the holidays, etc.). Once I reached an age where I was able to think freely, I realized that I didn't feel much of a connection to religion (it probably didn't help that both my parents expressed that they found organized religion to be bullshit, and personal experience taught me that religion and morality do not go hand in hand). If you are religious, you might not like this theory. And you don't have to, because it's mine.











The Plan Man Theory


I generally like to plan out my life. Having a plan gives me a sense of direction. However, I've found that when plan too much, something always goes haywire and I have to change my plans entirely. That's where Plan Man comes in.

Who is Plan Man? He is the man upstairs, who sits at a desk all day and night and approves or rejects the plans we submit.
He's usually a reasonable guy, but Plan Man can also be a pretty controlling guy, and does not like when we attempt to defy his authority and implement our own plans without his approval. When he gets the sense that we are making too many major plans on our own, he will probably start rejecting plans just to make a point.

The trick: plan out your life just enough, but not so much that Plan Man becomes offended and screws up your plans. It's a delicate balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment