July 7, 2011

Oh The Places I'll Go...

My mind has a tendency to wander. Like, hard-core wander. I have thought about things so random that I wonder how on earth my mind even thought to think about whatever it is I'm thinking about.

Frequently, when I'm trying to motivate myself to get through something, I tell myself "c'mon. You only have {insert amount of time here} left. You can do anything for {amount of time}."

Today at work, while I was taking a break, I realized that I had two hours left until the day was over. I had been reviewing contracts (tedious) all day, and needed my motivational phrase. "C'mon, Dana," I said. "You only have two hours left. You can do anything for two hours."

"Excuse me," the devil on my shoulder chimed in, "but I'm pretty sure there are many things you can't do for two hours." Damn it. My shoulder devil was right. Shoulder angel couldn't even come back with a counter argument. I proceeded to think of a bunch of things I could not do for two hours (the first thing was 'hold my breath'). As my time remaining at work lessened, I began mentally crossing things off my 'things-I-wouldn't-be-able-to-do-for-this-amount-of-time' list, until finally, I was able to go home.

Needless to say, today was a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment