July 25, 2012

The Honeymoon

I've been working on a studio lot all week (apparently this company thinks their materials are particularly confidential - ha!). My coworker and I have been donning our snazziest power suits and spending most of the day in our little glass conference room that is reserved for only us. I was so excited to be working from not-my-office, but after three days, I think the honeymoon is over.

Day 1: What a novelty! Sound stages, celebrities in the commissary, Yogurtland, and my employee badge lets me get discounts at the company store (so, if anyone wants any DVDs, merchandise, or electronics, I have an in until I have to give my badge back). I barely noticed the lack of mobility in my arms thanks to my suit jacket.

Day 2: Still a bit of a novelty, but more work and not many opportunities to take breaks (and yet still falling behind on our deadline). This lot seems a lot like a college campus (lots of bikes, random events, people on tours, and people sitting outside doing nothing (jealous!)). My suit jacket is becoming increasingly uncomfortable.

Day 3: My coworker and I are killing ourselves to meet the deadline our manager has set. Everyone else on the lot seems to be sitting around doing I-don't-know-what. People are staring at us like zoo animals through the glass conference room wall. My suit jacket is pissing me off.

So that was my 3-day honeymoon. Tomorrow, I get to go back to my regular old desk, and I couldn't be happier. I might even kiss it (second thought...I can't remember the last time I wiped it off).

1 comment: