May 7, 2012

Settling Soulmates

Any watchers of 30 Rock out there? This is where the term 'Settling Soulmates' originated. Pretty self-explanatory: if you don't find your perfect person, you eventually settle on someone who's 'good enough.'  Liz Lemon tried it, and the result...well, look at the picture.

I've gone home twice in the past few weeks, spending time with my parents, and inevitably running into their friends. I've noticed that they all ask me the same question: "Do you have a boyfriend?" (and some continue with "Then are you dating anyone?"...and some feel it necessary to ask "Why not?")

I was recently informed that a friend from college is now in a relationship. When I saw her a few weeks back, her lack of excitement while telling me about the guy made me downright sad. Here they were, at the very beginning of their relationship (the honeymoon phase...aww), and she didn't seem the least bit excited. She's not attracted to him, and she doesn't like him that much. So why did she agree to be his girlfriend? Because she's lonely, he's someone to talk to, and when people ask her the question (see above), she can answer "Yes."

What scares me about my friend is that we are nearing the age where these short-term settlements could become permanent (the proposal will be something along the lines of 'we've been together such a long time, we might as well get married, I guess.' How romantic).  I want to shake her by the shoulders and yell "hold out for someone better!" But, since I'm writing it here, I won't.

So, older generation that pities single people: I am not broken. I am just unwilling to settle. And I would rather answer "No" to the question and have you think I'm a loser than answer "yes" because I settled someone I don't really like.

End of rant. Here's a lovely song to make you feel better.

2 comments:

  1. Blast the Single Ladies song and put your hands up! I do it too!

    ReplyDelete