September 17, 2010

ESTJ

I took a personality-type test for one of my classes (similar to a Myers-Briggs test), and I was given a packet telling me all about my type--ESTJ. Here I am, in a nutshell:
Implementor Supervisor
"Talent for bringing order to chaotic situations. Educating themselves. Industrious, work-hard attitude. Balance work with play. Having a philosophy of life. Having the steps to success. Keeping up traditions. Being well balanced. Connecting their wealth of life experiences. Often disappointed when perfectionistic standards for economy and quality are not met"

As I told my roommates, this sounds like a description for a rigid-bitch-robot-boss. In my defense, I've taken similar tests before and gotten different results (INTJ, ISTJ, and ENTJ--I think I'm on the border for a few of the dichotomies). When I read the descriptions for the three other other types and combined them with 'implementor supervisor', they meshed into a super personality type that sounded a bit more human--and a bit more like me.

Just as interesting as reading about 'who I am' was reading about who I am not--the philosophers, the humanitarians, the free spirits--and thinking about why we are so different. Nature? Nurture? Both? Whatever the reason for the differences, I'm sure these types of people could not imagine being like me any more than I could imagine being like them.

I am very logical and practical and frugal; a worrier and a planner. Sometimes I like being the way I am, but sometimes I wish my personality was a hat I could take off at the end of a long day. In fact, I think it would be amazing if people could swap personalities with their friends for a day. If we had the ability to see our lives through a different lens, maybe things would be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment