June 29, 2013

You Win, Dustin Hoffman

A little over two years ago, I posted this entry about how I was so much more prepared for adulthood than Dustin Hoffman's character in The Graduate because I had a job lined up.

Ha! Tonight, I eat those words.

Let's say life is a 100 piece puzzle, and having a job comprises 10 pieces of that puzzle.  Attempting to figure out the puzzle despite 90 missing pieces (assuming the 10 pieces I have are consecutive pieces, which they probably aren't) would just be spinning my wheels.

Which brings me back to my idea that a lot of us have a Dustin Hoffman phase after college. Whether we admit to it is another story. 

The fact is, there's a good chunk of years where it's almost impossible to not be a drifter.  Other than having a job, my life is full of variables.  And, until I have some sort of direction, I don't want to make any major life decisions for the sake of feeling like I'm in control, and blow myself off course.  My hope is that I'll eventually drift onto whatever shore I'm unknowingly headed for anyway.

You might think I'm just being lazy, but I have a historical trend of screwing things up when I try too hard.






No comments:

Post a Comment