January 7, 2013

Shaken (not stirred)

Yesterday afternoon, my roommate invited me to a happy hour with a group of her friends. I usually don't accept her social invitations, but after a weekend of sitting around doing nothing, I think I needed a drink. So I accepted.

The happy hour turned out to be nice.  My roommate, who is quite generous with her money (but that's another story), treated everyone to margaritas and snacks. The restaurant was pretty low key and her co-ed group of friends made pleasant conversation (side note: I think I need more female friends.  Though I tend to identify with the male mindset, it's also nice to socialize with people of the same gender).

My roommate had driven the two of us to happy hour, and upon our arrival home I noticed that my car lights were on.  I never leave my car lights on. When I approached my car to turn off the lights, I noticed that both the front and back passenger door were cracked open. Then I noticed that my glove box was open, and things were strewn all over the seat.  My parking structure is pretty secure, so the thief would have had to sneak in while the garage door was open - OR - it might have been someone already in the building (my roommate suspects it's the creepy friend of the crazy girl on the third floor who drives a car filled with so much stuff I suspects he lives in there, and a missing window patched with plastic wrap). Also: since no windows were broken, my car must have been unlocked.  I NEVER leave my car unlocked, so I suspect my roommate may have forgotten to lock it after switching our cars in the tandem parking spot. Oy,

The idiot theif (thieves?) didn't actually steal much.  Just cash, a pair of sunglasses (that cost $4 at the swap meet, bitches), and the lantern I bought when I had no electricity in my old apartment.  What they didn't steal: my CDs (I was kind of hoping they'd rid me of the mix tapes from my ex), my phone charger, my parking garage clicker, and my Sony badge.  Thank GOD.

Even so, I'm shaken.  I tend to have a "these things don't happen to me" attitude (don't we all?), but now this thing did happen to me.  It makes me question how safe I really am, even in building that is technically secure.  But also, I'm trying to remind myself that events like this are arbitrary, so there's no point getting overly paranoid. And, as far as silver linings go, filing my first police report made me feel like a badass.


1 comment:

  1. sounds like you got off easy, badass apple-girl. people keep laptops and purses in their car. sometimes even on the front seat. so stupid.

    ReplyDelete