January 30, 2013

Dear certain individuals at my place of employment:

Thank you for bringing to light the fact that I'm far from perfect. I've always had a fairly realistic grasp of my own abilities, and the ability to administer self-discipline when I failed to meet my expectations. However, this can sometimes be an exhausting job, so I appreciate that you've taken the initiative to help remind me of my flaws.

Thank you for bringing to light the fact that I've had an overwhelming workload since returning from vacation, despite doing the maximum number of allowable overtime hours in the four weeks since I've been back.  Next time I consider taking a vacation, I'll be sure to keep my priorities in check.

Thank you for bringing to light all the unimportant mistakes I've made since returning from said vacation.  They probably had nothing to do with the fact that I'm juggling an enormous workload while responding to the demands of five different people.

Thank you for letting me know that it's all my fault the new teammate is not thriving.  That one day I taught him one thing must have been very influential.

I am honored that you consider me "the bridge" between the lower and upper members of the team.  Thank you for trusting me with so much responsibility while giving me absolutely no power or decision-making abilities.

And finally, thank you for the forewarning that I may not be promoted in the fall after all.  If I simply cannot meet your expectations, perhaps I should find a different place of employment that is better suited for someone less competent.

No comments:

Post a Comment