November 17, 2010

Theory of Nouns

I woke up an hour too early this morning, and I could tell right away that I wasn't going to fall back asleep. I told myself to just lay in bed until it was time to get up, but the combo of silence, my thoughts, and hunger finally got me up. So now I'm sitting in kitchen, basking in the partially-cloudy morning light and listening to Arcade Fire via NPR. Better.

Today's topic: my Theory of Nouns. I thought of it sometime within the last year. It's an attempt to explain how people plan out their futures. In case you need a refresher, here's dictionary.com's official definition of the word noun (though if you've graduated elementary school and don't know this, I'm a little worried about you)

noun (naʊn)
a. a word or group of words that refers to a person, place, or thing or any syntactically similar word

So back to the theory--I think everyone organizes their life around one of the characteristics of nouns [person, place, or thing for the sake of simplicity]

1. Person--'person' people organize their lives around whomever they want to be with. They will move anywhere, take any job; whatever it takes to end up with the person.

2. Place--These people choose a particular city or region where they'd like to end up. They don't care what they do or who they are with, as long as they are in their chosen destination.

3. Thing--Organize their futures around whatever job or activity they want to do. Career people.

One downside to this theory is that in pursuit of achieving your primary noun preference, you may be ignoring the other two. This error tends to reveal itself in hindsight.

Hope that was enlightening.
Happy Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment