June 15, 2009

Tarde Libre


(The title roughly translates to "free afternoon")

And a free afternoon is exactly what I had. Now that I only intern two days a week, I have to afternoons free to do as I like. I decided today to go to the mall and buy the coat i've been coveting (in my defense, i actually needed it). I attempted to converse with the employees, but not so much.

My spanish is improving a bit, but I still have a ways to go. Plus, Uruguayans have put a crazy sh/zh accent on a bunch of words, so that isn't helping. Otherwise, I feel like i've finally settled in. I went to a little market with my friends after lunch today that was right near our hotel, and it had a lot of good food. Also, our hotel is in a good neighborhood and there are lots of stores and cafes nearby (and a mall). We're also located about 4 blocks in from the coast, and there is a really pretty walkway that I walked on this past weekend.

Speaking of weekend, I don't understand how youngin's in Uruguay survive. Friday night, after dinner (which ended at 1 am), we decided to go out to a bar. We stayed out until 4 am, which isn't awful, but we had already planned to go out the next night. Saturday night, I set a goal to stay out until sunrise, because that's how the locals do. We went out at about 11:30 pm, but the first bar we tried was too crowded. Instead, we went to the bar/club we were planning on doing to afterward. It wasn't as crowded, but nobody was dancing. Finally, when we heard a song we know, los americanas decided to dance. We got some weird looks at first, but then the Uruguayans joined in. I went outside for a minute with one of my friends, and when I came back inside the club, it was so crowded that I literally could not move. At this point, our group decided that we wanted to leave (3ish am). Some people went home, but the rest of us went out to a second club. I thought it was a salsa club, but we heard everything from Daddy Yankee to the Beatles. Random shit. Anyway, dancing was fun, and we met up with some of our Uruguayan friends, but there were also A TON of creepy latin men. Eventually, we gave up on the club, and took cars/taxis back to our hotel. At this point it was about 6 am, so we had 90 minutes to wait until the hotel started serving breakfast. We all went to macdonald's for about an hour (side note- McDonald's are really nice and fancy in uruguay) and some people fell asleep on the couches. At 7, those of us that were staying at the hotel returned. and the rest went to their homes. We put on our pajamas, ate breakfast, and then went to sleep at 8am.

Sunday night, there was a party to commemorate Hillel's 85th birthday. There was a Rolling Stone's cover band and cake (random, but fun). Again, los americanas were the only one's dancing to the music, but whatever.

That's all for now.

The picture is from my walk along La Rambla (the walkway along the coast). It was the first graffiti I saw that I understood

1 comment:

  1. Haha you would post a pot picture. I want to see a picture of your coat, and of the fancy McDonald's (with couches?).

    Weird that the Uruguayans are not so much for the bailando.

    It was good to hear from you via telefono. Debes tratar que escribir un poco en espanol aqui! See, I just did. Not sure if it made sense, but it's fun to try. :)

    ReplyDelete