February 17, 2013

Field Day

Yesterday, I stumbled upon this site: Serious Eats.  I recall visiting it once or twice before, long before I was a city-dweller, but this time it seemed much more...relevant.

My mind sometimes oversimplifies things by compartmentalizing my existence into two categories: home and away. The 'home' time is when I'm living my normal, every day live.  Wake up, work, eat, do chores, sleep.  I'll admit, it can become boring.  My 'away' time is when I'm traveling. I seek out the exotic and the unusual. I explore. Away time is never boring.

Seeing that Serious Eats has a regional site for Los Angeles makes me question how separate my two spheres need to be. Why can't I integrate the two a little more (obviously it'll take more than food, but it's a start)?

I'd love to get as far away from home as I possibly can (and perhaps stay there forever), but at my stage in life, constant travel isn't a realistic possibility (I'm talking multi-month excursions on different continents).  However, the idea of exploring at home isn't too depressing of a concession, so that is what I'll do.

First stop - reliving my time in Istanbul by seeing if this pide (Turkish pizza) is 1/10 as delicious as it was in Istanbul (which would still be really, really good).

1 comment:

  1. I love that site. I have their book! Pide snack trek? Two blogs, one stone…

    ReplyDelete