December 11, 2012

New Year's Resolution #1: Use The Force

Inertia: a property of matter by which it remains at rest or in uniform motion in the same straight line unless acted upon by some external force.

Physics lesson aside (I can hear your collective sigh of relief), I've started thinking about what aspects of my life I'd like to tweak for the coming year. The first trait that sticks out is my tendency to sit back and wait for the things I want in life to fall into my lap; then be disappointed when they don't.  I know, aside from super lotto winners, life doesn't work like that, and yet I continue to sit back wait for a stroke of luck to put everything in its right place.

I don't think laziness is the culprit here. I am not, nor have I ever been lazy, by any definition of the word, but after spending the first half of the year putting in 80-100 hour weeks, I burned out to such an extent that I never quite burned back in (I know, 'burn-in' isn't an expression, but I needed to create a sense of opposition). 

Since there's no better time to 'burn-in' than the start of a new year, 2013 is going to be the year I make a real effort to move my life in the direction of my choice. Rather than my usual, passive, 'woe is me - better luck next year' attitude, I'm going to go after what I want, be it in my professional, personal or social life. 


The Force: it worked for them...

1 comment:

  1. This post reminds me of your post a few months back when you asked for the full raise you were due at work. Good going.

    ReplyDelete