October 8, 2012

24 Years After The Day I Was Born

First things first, happy birthday to me! I survived my 23rd year, though 7 of the 12 months were absolute study-hell. No matter, I'm 24 now!

Today was a good day, as far as birthdays go.  I played hooky from work (if hooky means formally scheduling the day off a month in advance) and stayed home (parents home) for an extra day. 

The day got off to a not-particularly-birthdayish start: a trip to the dentist in which the hygienist went to town on my coffee/soda stains (probably my fault, but I've recently cut back, so next time should be better), and then informed me that the dentist noticed a cavity in 2010 and wrote it in my file, but never filled it. They asked me if I wanted to get it filled today. I said no. (Who gets a cavity filled on their birthday?)

Next was a birthday massage, a tradition running two years strong (and hopefully forever).

Lunch was excellent, followed by a dessert of pumpkin ice cream topped with a fluffy pumpkin cookie and accompanied by pumpkin coffee.

The day took an interesting turn during an evening walk with my mom.  Out of nowhere, she dropped the 'why don't you try match.com?' bomb.  Apparently, it's how everyone is meeting people these days (which makes me...no one?). I can't verbalize my opposition to online dating as well as I'd like to. I just don't want to do it, and I'm afraid that my already dwindling faith in humanity will die completely if I repeatedly subject myself to awful dates. I told her no.

"Fine," she said, "but you don't really ever meet people in your day to day life, and if you wait until you're too old to go online, all the good ones will be gone." I promised her that I will try it next year, hoping that I'll meet someone not online and never have to go through with it.

My mom must have conspired with the universe (or at least the Gods that control the radio), because the first song that played as I drove back to my apartment was this little ditty. Very funny, universe. I told you, I'll try it next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment